Berkeley Middle

Home of the Bucks

Berkeley Middle School


Our School

Berkeley Middle School is a part of the Berkeley County School District and serves the city of Moncks Corner, South Carolina, and several other surrounding communities in the heart of Berkeley County. The school currently receives students from three feeder schools: Berkeley Intermediate, Cane Bay Elementary, and Whitesville Elementary. Upon promotion, students transition from Berkeley Middle to Berkeley High School in Moncks Corner. With approximately 1,150 students (2015), Berkeley Middle is the largest middle school in Berkeley County.

Our Community

Berkeley County is part of the continuously expanding Tri-County region which, along with Charleston and Dorchester Counties, forms the Charleston Metropolitan area. Due to its proximity to Charleston, the county’s economy maintains sustained growth in both residential and industrial sectors. Berkeley County is home to several multinational corporations, including Alcoa, DuPont, Google, and Nucor Steel. Santee Cooper is a large state-owned corporation headquartered in Berkeley County that operates hydroelectric dams along the Santee and Cooper Rivers and provides electricity to over 2 million South Carolinians.

The county’s communities offer a diverse choice of residential opportunities from suburban areas to rural small towns. The town of Moncks Corner, whose population is slightly over 6000, serves as the county seat for Berkeley County government.

Our History

Berkeley County was one of the first organized counties in the United States; its European origins can be traced back to the early 1600s. The Cooper River, which bisects the county, served as a major transportation link to the Charleston area; therefore, rice and indigo plantations flourished in Berkeley County along this route. During the Revolutionary War, Berkeley County became a hotbed of battles between American and British forces. There are more Revolutionary War battle sites in Berkeley County than anywhere else in the United States.

The town of Moncks Corner evolved from a transportation crossroad during the Colonial and Antebellum eras, with very modest boarding houses and taverns. In 1800, the Santee Canal opened to connect the Santee and Cooper Rivers, which allowed barges to move from the Columbia area to the port of Charleston. Railroad tracks first came through the Moncks Corner crossroad in 1856, which solidified the evolution of the area into a town. During the Great Depression, the federal and state governments’ combined efforts led to the construction of the Pinopolis Dam, which served to create Lake Moultrie at the edge of Moncks Corner. Today, the lake continues to provide transportation, electricity, and recreation to the citizens of Berkeley County.
CLOSE